July 25, 2016
Relief from the heat at Wilmington pools and spray parks
Zoë Read is a Delaware reporter for newsworks.org and WHYY-FM.
She received her Bachelor’s in English from the University of Delaware in 2011. While at the university, Read was the managing editor for the features section for the student newspaper, The Review.
She received her Master’s in Journalism from Columbia University in 2012. While at the university, Read wrote a 6,000 word thesis on HIV/AIDS in Harlem. An excerpt of the piece was later published on theatlantic.com.
Read most recently worked for the Capital newspaper in Annapolis, where she covered Anne Arundel County news. While at the paper, she won awards from the MDDC Association for her work in arts & culture, health, environmental and public service journalism.
Read’s freelance work also has been featured in the Kansas City Star, the Detroit News and the online version of The Atlantic.
Pools and spray parks in Wilmington will operate under extended hours this week as a heatwave plagues Delaware.Temperatures could approach 100 degrees Monday, and remain in the low to mid-90s for the next several days—and high humidity will make it feel even hotter, according to the National Weather Service.On Monday, Mayor Dennis Williams, D-Wilmington, and Parks and Recreation Director James Lane announced Wilmington will extend the operating hours of all city pools and spray parks through Thursday evening.
The following pools will be open from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. through Thursday of this week:
- Foster Brown Pool at 7th and Lombard Streets
- Prices Run Pool at 26th Street and Speakman Place
- William “Hicks” Anderson Center at 5th and Madison Streets
- P.S. duPont Middle School Pool at 701 W. 34th Street
The following spray parks will remain open from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. through Thursday of this week:
- Father Tucker Field at 9th and Lincoln Streets
- Woodlawn Park at 4th and Ferris Streets
- Helen Chambers Park at 6th and Madison Streets
- Brown Park at 8th Avenue and Duncan Street
- Judy Johnson Park at 3rd and Clayton Streets
- Eastlake Playground at 30th and Madison Streets
For more information about the City pools and spray parks, visit www.WilmingtonDE.gov/citypools