Looking for ways to get your holiday cheer on safely? We compiled a list of safe and socially distanced activities for you to get in the spirit. Make your list (and check it twice!) some of these are date specific!
1. Blitzen- Fill up your cup with cheer at this Christmas themed pop-up bar! In its second season, Blitzen has expanded to two indoor rooms and an outdoor “Christmas Tree Farm” equipped with your own fire pit!
2. Constitution Yards Winter Garden- Opening TODAY (December 4th), the Riverfront attraction will feature Holiday Movie Nights, a Winter Concert Series, and NFL and College Football on the big screen. Tents, heaters and fire pits will be available to keep you warm! And food from De.Co vendors!
3. Winter in Wilmington Light Show– Put on by The Grand Opera House and the Riverfront Development Corporation, the inaugural Winter in Wilmington Lightshow is a fun way to pile into a car and drive through the thousands of light installations on the Riverfront! The display is open to the public until January 3rd.
4. Chanukah Drive-In Menorah Lighting Event- On Sunday December 13th, the Chabad of Delaware, along with the Siegel JCC and the JFD will host a FREE drive in menorah lighting event! Registration is required and limited to the first 40 cars.
5. Delaware Theatre Company “Merry and Bright”– You won’t want to miss this 30 minute holiday light show, synchronized to music, on the front steps of the theatre. This weekend event runs December 17th-20th with 3 performances per day and will book up quick, so get your tickets now! They’ll also have a live band and an appearance from the big man himself (Santa of course!)
6. First State Ballet Stream of Nutcracker-Purchase your tickets to view First State Ballet’s 2019 production of “The Nutcracker” at Theatre N in Wilmington! With 2 showings on Saturday, December 19 and Sunday, December 20th, get your taste of this timeless classic.
7. Wilmington Ballet-“The Nutcracker Experience”- Running December 7th-12th, this event offers holiday interactive activities and performances each night! Including live and pre-recorded performances, this is a complete immersion into this Christmas world of fantasy!
8. Longwood Gardens “A Longwood Christmas”-You know we couldn’t write this article without featuring Longwood (even though it IS in Pennsylvania!) This is an incredible event right in your backyard that many Wilmingtonians have the standing tradition of attending year after year. On display until January 10th.
9. Winterthur– There are so many events Winterthur is offering that we can’t choose just one! Think options like a 3D Light Show, Yuletide Jazz & Wine, and “Sounds of the Season” concert. We are also excited for Holiday Ornament Workshops and S’mores Around the Fire!
10. Rockwood Drive Through Merry & Bright Holiday Lights– Featuring colorful twinkling lights, holiday decorations, and Santa sightings, this free event is THIS WEEKEND ONLY from 6-9pm at Rockwood Park before it travels down south to Glasgow on December 11th and 12th.
11. Center for Horticulture Holiday Greens Sale- Take advantage of the DCH’s Holiday Greens and Kits Sale! Selling locally sourced, fresh cut greens to deck YOUR halls, pre-order a holiday kit with everything you need to assemble a centerpiece or wreath, OR channel your inner creative and pick out your own greens to arrange.
12. Holidays at Hagley- Where to start?! Hagley Museum has a number of activities including their annual Gingerbread House contest (running through January 3rd), “Santa Day” on December 5th, and other pop up Christmas activities.