After chowing down at all the super delicious restaurants, it’s always nice to find a way to walk around and let that food digest. Here are a few of the places that really make Wilmington’s West Side a place to spend your free time. From nature and museums, to shopping and working out, there’s always something to do!
1. Rockford Park– This park offers tennis courts, paths, wooded areas and off leash dog park, in addition to events like the Flower Show, and pop ups from small businesses. The 100 year old Rockford Tower is an iconic landmark that opens up to beautiful views (when it’s open).
2. Brandywine Park- Another great place to get out and get active! This park features the Jasper Crane Rose Garden, Sugar Bowl, Swinging Bridge, Brandywine Zoo, and Vietnam Memorial.
3. Alapocas Run State Park- Mostly paved paths for walking, running, and biking, this park’s 191 acres to date also has a location to rock climb, waterfalls (if you know where to look, and the Can-Do Playground, the first Boundless playground in Delaware, which gives children of all abilities the opportunity to play
4. Brandywine Zoo– The Brandywine Zoo is located along the Brandywine River in beautiful Brandywine Park. A fun fact: they are a member of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA), one of only 200 accredited zoos in North America. The AZA accredits only the top zoos that provide excellent care to animals!
5. Delaware Art Museum– They’re open! The Delaware Art Museum is a fun place to get some culture, and if you’re adventurous, learn a thing or two! They are currently offering virtual classes in everything from photography to metalsmithing (we didn’t know that was a thing, either!)
6. Delaware Center for Horticulture– You may have driven past this small oasis and missed it! Right on the back side of Trolley Square, the DCH has public gardens, event spaces for rent, including a rooftop garden you need *special* access for. The DCH’s community outreach is vast, as they participate in community forestry, urban agriculture, and public landscapes for our city.
7. HiLo Fitness- Delaware’s ONLY Versaclimber and Lagre Megaformer fitness studio. These unique pieces of equipment give an INSANE total body cardio workout like you’ve never seen before! Also peruse the cute “shop” they have up front for workout/casual wear and jewelry by local artists.
8. Pure Yoga/Pilates– Pure Yoga prides itself on the non-intimidating approach towards learning, which is a must for any beginner or someone perfecting their skills. Their belief that yoga has the ability to foster a sense of community and enrich people’s everyday lives makes them a perfect fit for Trolley/West Side’s tight knit community.
9. Squeezebox Records- I am OBSESSED with old school records and am always trying to find a hidden gem. Sometimes record shops just haven’t curated a solid collection, BUT NOT Squeezebox Records! The literal WAREHOUSE is a dream if you love to spend your days flipping through old vinyls. You’ll find some eclectic offerings! Think of everything from Bruce Springsteen and Johnny Cash to 2Pac.
10. Agaru Tattoos– Get tatted! Established in 2005, Agaru Tattoo & Body Piercing is a National & International Award Winning Tattoo & Body Piercing Studio. They have 3 locations, one being right in Trolley Square!
11. Trudy- Want a cute shop to find a new, fresh outfit you won’t find at the mall? Trudy is a women’s and men’s contemporary clothing boutique with an assortment of mainstream and independent brands. The Trudy vibe is cool and laid back. When I went I was offered a mimosa to hold in-hand as I walked around!