We LOVE our burgers here in Wilmington, Delaware! We polled our friends on our Instagram for the best burger spots in Wilmington and did our own research to compile this list below! Try to read it without drooling, I DARE you!
1. Kid Shelleen’s- “Brunch, beer, and burgers” are the specialty at Kid Shelleen’s, where there are 6 different specialty burgers to choose from including a Beyond Burger option for our meatless fam. Although their traditional ½ price burger night is temporarily postponed, it’s still worth the visit!
My fave burger: “The Cowboy”- fried onion ring, Lancaster bacon, bbq sauce, Wisconsin cheddar, green leaf, vine-ripe tomato.
2. Farmer and the Cow- Featured on Guy Fieri’s, “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives”, this fun LoMa (Lower Market, IYKYK) spot is a one stop shop for flavor! Their creative burgers and boozy milkshakes corner a niche you can’t find anywhere else in Wilmington.
My fave burger: “Moo Caliente”- habanero, ghost aioli, onion straws, avocado crema, pepper jack cheese.
3. Chelsea Tavern- Chelsea is near and dear to MY heart, as it was my first serving job in the city when it opened on Market, almost 11 years ago (I know, don’t remind me of how old I am!) With 7 different types of burgers, including The Chelsea Burger Challenge, which is the pic at the top of this blog! I actually attempted this feat last week, so stay tuned to see how I did! FYI I have been known to dream about their burgers in my sleep!
My fave burger: “Black & Blue”- blue cheese crumbles, applewood smoked bacon, brioche bun.
4. Slam Burgers by Wildwich– This food truck is always moving, but several of our readers said their burgers are worth the hunt! With toppings like crabmeat, bacon, and crispy frizzles, we’ve gotta say we are curious to find this truck and taste it ourselves!
My fave burger: Looks like Slam leaves the creativity up to you, and lets YOU pick out your own creation.
5. Iron Hill Brewery- Iron Hill is an “old reliable” for locally brewed beer and consistent food. Located on the Riverfront, we love the view of the Christina and the fact that their beers are brewed on site! One our readers (@kate.habegger) commented, “It’s not solely a burger place but the Pub Burger is the BEST!”
My fave burger: “Left Coast Turkey Burger”- guacamole, bacon, IPA sriracha ranch, monterey jack cheese, arugula, potato roll.
6. Crow Bar- Even though Crow Bar in Trolley Square is known for their fun upscale pizza selection and cocktails, don’t overlook the burger! “The Crow” burger is the only one on the menu, but when it’s quality, who needs quantity?!
My fave burger: “The Crow”- cheddar, onion jam, smoked bacon, brioche bun, shoestring fries.
7. Charcoal Pit- Although on the outskirts of Wilmington, we had to give a nod to our hometown President Joe Biden’s favorite spot! Since 1956 it’s been serving up Americana in milkshakes, burgers, and sandwiches!
My fave burger: “Kennett Square Burger”- bacon, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato & local mushrooms.
8. Dead Presidents– This Union Street local spot has also seen famous Wilmingtonians like Audrey Plaza when she’s home visiting. The bar is also a big spot for those in the restaurant industry to unwind. I like their 7 different burger options!
My fave burger: “WTF: Wow That’s Fire”- Jalapeño stuffed, topped with DP’s 9 pepper sauce, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, and pickles.
9. Merchant Bar– We are so excited Merchant is starting to open back up on Market on select dates and weekends! The burger here was under our radar until our reader @Siancybabayy commented, “Merchant Bar low key has the best burger in town, that spicy sauce on the classic is [INSERT FIRE EMOJI]”
My fave burger: I’m gonna take @Siancybabayy’s word for it here- “The Classic Burger”- cooper sharp cheese, lettuce, pickles, spicy sauce, house fries
10. Stitch House Brewery– We had so much fun learning how to brew beer at Stitch House back in December. We love their selection of “hand helds”, and it’s the perfect spot to watch Eagles games on football Sunday with our buddy, DJ Andrew Hugh! IG user @Magnolia_lounge commented: “They are amazing, then add some truffle fries…phew I’m hungry now!”
My fave burger: “Southwest Style”- avocado aioli, pepper jack, fresh pico de gallo, brioche.