I am so excited to show you all MY side of town! I have lived in this area for 6 years and love the people, culture, and individual identities of these little neighborhoods (Trolley Square, Little Italy, Forty Acres) that come together to make it West Side. This week we are diving into all things food, so check back as this list will continue to grow, and comment below with YOUR favorite places to eat and drink on Wilmington’s West Side!
1. Ristorante Attilio– Located on the corner of Lancaster and Lincoln in Little Italy, this family owned and operated restaurant has been open for over 35 years. All of their pastas are made from scratch, so you can’t go wrong with the gnocchi, lasagna, or manicotti!
2. Merengue House– Tostones sliders and the mofongo (MY FAVORITE) will give you the taste of the Caribbean you’ve been craving.
3. Ciro Forty Acres– Opened this past summer as the “brunch” sibling to Ciro Food and Drink on the Riverfront. Think funnel cake donuts followed by shrimp and grits with adorable outdoor seating.
4. Gianni’s Pizza- Don’t worry, it’s still Ciao, but due to trademark reasons they’ve had to change their name, but not the quality or location in their iconic building in the heart of Trolley Square.
5. Trolley Square Oyster House– Want fresh oysters, live music, and friendly staff? This is your one stop shop! Buck-a-Shuck oysters are available happy hour Tuesday-Friday (4-6pm), and try out the crab grilled cheese (TRUST ME).
6. Scalessa’s– This side of the city is known for Italian cuisine, and Scalessa’s in Forty Acres delivers. Serving Old School Italian homemade specialties like porkette with broccoli rabe, rigatoni with Sunday gravy, and their “famous” buttercake.
7. Columbus Inn– Although known for being a little more upscale, the opportunity to dine during happy hour offers price points at “The 4’s, 5’s, 6’s, 9’s” like the smokehouse wings, pork belly bites, or crab cake sandwich.
8. Milk + Honey Coffee Shop– A coffeehouse, gallery, and event space that runs “Small Business Saturday’s” in their parking lot up until October 31st!
9. Kid Shelleen’s- This is my favorite place “to hide” on this side of town. Grab one of the “executive chairs” at the bar (IYKYK) and hang out incognito while ordering brunch, lunch, or dinner!
10. Crow Bar- This chic restaurant and bar right in Trolley Square is perfect for a drink, or sit down tapas style meal.