Wilmington Mayor Mike Purzycki and Cultural Affairs Director Tina Betz announced yesterday that Wilmington’s Caroling on the Square, featuring the official lighting of the City’s Holiday Tree, will take place on Tuesday, December 4 at 6:30 p.m., in Rodney Square at 10th and North Market Streets. Everyone, especially children and their families, is invited to the annual, free City event.
The festivities will include:
- Lighting of the City’s Holiday Tree
- Holiday songs led by a local singing group comprised of members of area choral groups
- Songbooks will be provided courtesy of Delmarva Power, an Excelon Company
- Free face painting by Party Business
- Holiday characters
- Hot drinks provided by The Salvation Army
- Free food for event attendees provided by ShopRite through the generosity of the by Kenny Family Foundation
“This is a special time of year for people of many different faiths, cultures, and communities,” said Mayor Purzycki. “And we are pleased to once again be able to welcome our neighbors from around the city and across the region to this historic public square for a very festive and fun event. It is my hope that this holiday tradition helps to bring us together in a spirit of unity and peace as we wind down 2018 and look ahead to 2019.”
In keeping with the holiday spirit, attendees are encouraged to bring the following donations for local charities:
- non-perishable food items
- new or gently used children’s coats
- new toys for the Mayor’s Holiday Toy Drive
- blankets and adult socks for the homeless
To support and encourage downtown holiday shopping, metered parking downtown is free until December 31, 2018. From noon until 6:00 p.m. each weekday, the City will not require payment at parking meters in the Downtown Business District (defined as the area bounded by 2nd Street to 12th Street, and by French Street to Washington Street) and in the entire Riverfront Business District. The standard two-hour parking limit will remain in effect, however. Metered spaces will continue to be free on weekends and holidays.
Share your pictures of the event #CarolingontheSquare
Follow Wilmington’s Campaign #ItsTimeWilmDE
To RSVP, spread the word and learn more about Caroling on the Square visit our Facebook Event.
Show Comments (0)