Image courtesy of the City of Wilmington.
This years’ place to go for the 4th of July is the Riverfront! Fireworks on the riverfront, live orchestra and tons of food. Below we’ve included a few tips for parking, activities, road closures, and even the schedule for the day of the event. We want to make sure you get the MOST of your Independence Day celebration, so make sure to check out the information below so you can be prepared for Wilmington’s annual 4th of July Celebration.
Summarized from the full article on Wilmingtonde.gov.
An enjoyable 4th of July celebration will kick off at 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday at Tubman-Garrett Riverfront Park. Citizens are invited to this FREE event which will include local bands, food vendors, children’s games, tours of the Kalmar Nyckel, and other family-themed activities throughout the day.
TUBMAN-GARRETT RIVERFRONT PARK SCHEDULE FOR DAY AND EVENING
|12:30 – 8:00 p.m.||The public is invited to bring a blanket, chair, lawn games, and your own picnic. Local vendors will be on hand, as will local bands, children’s games, tours of the Kalmar Nyckel, and other family-themed activities. Music Performance Schedule for the day includes:
To the Max (12:30-1:30 p.m.)
Next Phase (2:00-3:00 p.m.)
Jea Street, Jr. (4:00-5:00 p.m.)
Jibaro con Tumbao (5:30-6:30 p.m.)
|8:00 – 9:15 p.m.||The Delaware Symphony Orchestra performs a celebratory concert of American music.|
|9:30 p.m.||The July 4th Freedom Celebration Fireworks Show will conclude the evening.|
You can also enjoy these additional activities during the day on July 4, brought to you by the Riverfront Development Corporation:
Wilmington Police have announced a series of road closures along the Christina Riverfront in advance of the Independence Day festivities scheduled for Tubman-Garrett Riverfront Park. Citizens are advised to plan ahead. If you choose to only attend the Delaware Symphony and Fireworks Show, you are advised to arrive before 8 p.m. and be prepared to stay until the fireworks have concluded. City Police will be present to ensure a smooth and safe commute for Riverfront patrons into and out of the celebration area. Street closures and traffic advisories for the event are as follows:
- Rosa Parks Drive between Market and French Streets at Tubman-Garrett Park will be closed beginning at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 3.
- The Market Street Bridge will be closed to pedestrian and motorized traffic from Water Street through to A Street from 8 p.m. until 10:30 p.m.
- A Street from Market to Walnut Streets will be closed beginning at 8:30 p.m.
- All roads exiting from Martin Luther King Boulevard into the Riverfront area, including South Madison Street, Tatnall Street, Market Street, Orange Street, West Street, and Walnut Street will be closed beginning at 8:30 p.m. in preparation for the Fireworks Show.
- Traffic leaving the Shipyard Shops or Riverfront Restaurants Area by way of Madison Street at the end of the evening will be directed to exit along Stadium Drive and onto Beech Street and out Justison Street.
- All roads will be re-opened at the conclusion of the Fireworks Show.
- Patrons are encouraged to park at the many different lots around the Orange Street and Market Street areas.
- Take advantage of free parking at the Shipyard Shops, Frawley Stadium and at the Chase Center on the Riverfront
- Visit the Riverfront Wilmington website for directions to these sites.