The City of Wilmington Parks and Recreation, in partnership with The Grand, have announced the 2020 Summer in the Parks program. Throughout the month of July, the newly renovated William “Hicks” Anderson Community Center (WHACC) at 501 North Madison Street in West Center City will host free arts experiences for youth, ages 6 to 12. These recreational opportunities are provided with all necessary COVID-19 health and safety precautions in place in accordance with State of Delaware Phase 2 guidelines. Should any activity offered by the City result in COVID-related health concerns for participants or staff, the activity will be halted immediately for further review.
Young people are invited to explore a different art form each weekday afternoon at WHACC, beginning at 12:30 p.m.:
- MONDAYS – Poetry & Spoken Word with Christian Wills, focusing on participation and learning poetry, poetry writing, open mic, and performance techniques.
- TUESDAYS – Dance & Movement with Ashley SK Davis from Pieces of a Dream, learning various styles of dance, rhythm and musicality, basic choreography, spatial awareness, and body control.
- WEDNESDAYS – Theatre & Acting with Mariah Ghant and Anthony McIver from Delaware Shakespeare, providing a fun and interactive introduction to the works of Shakespeare, the time period, his use of language, and acting out famous scenes.
- THURSDAYS – Music & Drumming with Jason Keller, focusing on participation and learning drums, drumming techniques, and drum lines with fun and familiar music.
In keeping with Summer in the Parks tradition, The Grand will also present four evenings of free concerts in City parks. These outdoor events provide a safe environment for music, dancing, and fun with the whole family. All concert times are 6:30-8 p.m. Face masks are required, and social distancing will be enforced.
- Wednesday, July 15: Pristine Raeign at Holloway/Compton Park (E. 7th & N. Lombard Streets)
- Wednesday, July 22: Christina Cultural Arts Center featuring Richard Raw and the Word Warrior Band at Haynes Park (Miller Road & W. 30th-32nd Streets)
- Wednesday, July 29: Jea Street Jr. at Father Tucker Memorial Park (N. Lincoln Street & W. 9th-Howland Streets)
- Wednesday, August 5: Music School of Delaware and Delaware Children’s Theatre @ Union Park Gardens (S. Bancroft Parkway & Sycamore Street)
All programs and schedules are contingent upon weather and subject to change. A full schedule of activities and calendar updates will be posted on The Grand’s website and on facebook.