Even those who are travelers at heart need a home base. We are breaking down some of the reasons that Wilmington, (and Delaware!) is the perfect home for someone who loves to explore!
- Cost of Living- If you are planning on traveling you are going to need to save some extra cash for plane tickets, hotels, gas, etc. Luckily for you, Wilmington’s cost of living is below the national average. Bestplaces.net calculates that Wilmington’s cost of living is 89.9/100 (100 representing the US average).
- Cost of Rent- One of the best ways to save, especially if you will be traveling often, is by keeping your rent expenses low. In Wilmington, the average cost of rent is $1,392 per month, which is significantly lower than the national average of $1,628 (rentcafe.com)
- Tax-Free Shopping- Delaware is one of the five US states without any sales tax (Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon). Montchaininbuilders.net calculates that residents of these states can save $444 to $1,111 each year just in sales tax! Imagine how that savings could help afford your travel expenses year after year!
- Proximity to Big Cities- A day trip to our Nation’s Capital, the City of Brotherly Love, Charm City, or the Big Apple are all within a few hours of Wilmington. At about 2.5 hours from New York City, 2 hours from Washington D.C., around an hour to Baltimore, and less than an hour from Philadelphia, Wilmington is one of the best places to live for travelers who like to get their big city fix.
- Amazon Prime Warehouse– Wilmington is home to the largest operational Amazon facility in the country. The warehouse is 3.8 million square feet and features all of Amazon’s latest technology. This is great news for travelers because Amazon has a massive selection of products stored in the warehouse, allowing for even faster shipping of your favorite items if you live nearby. Read more here.
- YouTuber Chris Klemens Moved to Wilmington- Klemens is a popular YouTuber with over 1 million subscribers. He recently moved to Delaware and sees it as an intermediary between New York and other cities he visits for his work. View his page here.
You can Wanderlust right here!
- The Arts- Wilmington is a city full of culture and you can find high-quality production of any artistic medium here. Exploring the city that you live in can be just as rewarding as traveling!
- Notable Attraction: Delaware Art Museum
- Top Rated Bicycle City- Wilmington is known for its bike trails and enjoyable views around the city. If you are seeking adventure you can find it here! Check out the Delaware Public Media’s coverage of Delaware being named among the top bicycle-friendly states here.
- Notable Attraction: Jack A Markell Trail
- Top Most Beautiful Libraries- Wilmington has many beautiful architectural accomplishments in the city. The library is one of the absolute most impressive. Check out Fodors Travel’s list of “11 Most Beautiful Libraries in the United States” featuring the Wilmington Public Library here.
- Notable Attraction: Wilmington Public Library
- Rated in the “The Best 15 River Walks in the United States”- Wilmington’s Riverfront has been recognized as one of the most beautiful in the United States by Fodors Travel. It is packed with some of the best restaurants and shops that Wilmington has to offer as well.
- Notable Attraction: Wilmington Riverfront
Overall State Attractions!
- Delaware Beaches- Our State is home to incredible beaches and wonderful surrounding towns. Sometimes it can be more gratifying to vacation in your home state than to travel.
- Notable Attraction: Rehoboth Beach
- Events- There is always something fun to do in Delaware! With a flourishing restaurant community and lots of live music, Wilmington is considered one of the premier cities in the area.
- Notable Attraction: Firefly Music Festival
- Parks- Delaware offers escapes in the form of breathtaking State parks. You can enjoy the city when you are home by taking a stroll through any of the natural offerings.
- Notable Attraction: Brandywine Park