Feel like giving today? We compiled a list of worthy charities and non-profits your donation will directly benefit.
1. Motorcyle Santa– Motorcycle Santa suits up every year, attaching a sleigh filled with donations to his motorcycle for families and local organizations. This year they partnered with the Nemours Children’s Hospital of Delaware as well as the Ronald McDonald House of Delaware to bring holiday cheer and essentials to those in need. They accept monetary donations, as well as specific items off of their “wish lists”
2. WSFS Bank and Sunday Breakfast Mission Food Drive- WSFS bank has teamed up with Wilmington’s Sunday Breakfast Mission to donate non-perishable food items to the food-insecure. The 2020 Fall Food Drive will run through December 31st and drop off locations are at participating WSFS Bank offices. Find your nearest drop off site by clicking on the link!
3. Food Not Bombs- Food Not Bombs is an all-volunteer movement that recovers food that would otherwise be discarded, and shares free vegan and vegetarian meals with the hungry in over 1,000 cities in 65 countries. in protest to war, poverty, and destruction of the environment. They also provide food and supplies to the survivors of natural disasters, and people participating in occupations, strikes, marches and other protests. For more information about their Wilmington location, click here.
4. Spur Impact- Spur Impact focuses on helping young professionals “spur impact” in the community, such as the Millennial Summit, Delaware Charity Challenge, the Pursuit of Health & Wellness Expo (health fair), and Delaware Difference Makers. CEO Charlie Vincent comments, “This is the time of year that many members of our community think critically about how to support their favorite nonprofit. The pandemic has shown how critical nonprofits are to our economic infrastructure and how much they rely on the support and generosity of individual donors. Making an online donation to one or more of them, particularly on designated giving days, is a meaningful way to support and show support, no matter what the donation.”
5. Mascots for a Cure- “Fighting childhood cancer, one mascot at a time!” This unique non-profit combines mascots from all over the world to organize events connecting children and their families to participating businesses and athletics. The goal is to provide “hope, laughter, and love” to children suffering from cancer and various illnesses.
6. Andrew McDonough B+ Foundation- The Wilmington based (but nationally recognized!) non-profit honors the memory of Andrew McDonough, who lost his fight with leukemia at age 14 in 2007. This year, their goal is to raise $100,000 to help 100 families of children with cancer nationwide! They are also partnered with Mascots for a Cure.
7. Blue Hen Strong Fund- Any fellow Blue Hens?! Gifts to the Blue Hen Strong Fund will directly and immediately address the needs of students to ensure their success at UD. Your donation will lead to grants covering tuition, access to technology and advancements to online learning tools, as well as career readiness support.
8. The Grand Opera House- By donating to this historic Wilmington theatre, you will support community engagement in three different areas, all of which focus on diversity and inclusion. These include: “Stages of Discovery” curriculum inspired matinees for schools, “Summer in the Parks” which provides free concerts and hands-on art activities, and “Sensory-Friendly Family Programs” designed to accommodate individuals on the autism spectrum or with other sensory-sensitive conditions at live performances.
9. Delaware Theater Company– Delaware Theatre Company seeks to create theatre of the highest professional quality in Delaware and thereby enrich the vitality of the area through artistic programming, education, and community service. Founded in 1978, DTC has kept art at the forefront of the First State and also offers a robust education program, offering classes and summer in acting, outreach programs for the elderly and at-risk youth, and has the ever-popular Totally Awesome Players. Since opening, DTC has produced 220 main stage productions seen by more than a million theatergoers. Your donation will help the theatre survive through the pandemic and host upcoming events like their holiday light show (stay tuned!) at the end of this month.
10. Brandywine Zoo– featured for their “Boo at the Zoo” fall event (view our video here), this local landmark is asking for not only monetary donations this year, but “enrichment” materials for their animals. Enrichment is one of the many ways they keep the animals healthy and stimulated, both mentally and physically. According to their website, “By offering the animals enrichment, we expose them to a wide variety of stimuli, and hopefully elicit some of their natural behaviors.” The zoo is also involved in conservation programs, including the Delaware Kestrel Partnership and Urban Wildlife Monitoring, which study and help protect species for years to come.
11. Delaware Humane Association– This Wilmington no-kill shelter nurtures and trains animals so they’re ready for adoption. Your gift will provide safe shelter, spay and neuter services and medical care to abandoned animals. They also have a wish list if you’d like to give a more tail-ored gift to a pet.
12. Faithful Friends- Another no-kill shelter located in Wilmington, your donation goes towards caring for these animals, as well as low cost services including spay/neuter, wellness, and vaccination clinics. Additionally, you can host your own fundraiser for this organization throughout the year, or choose to donate to their “Healing Touch Fund”, used to support animals who have special or ongoing medical needs or require emergency medical care and procedures.