Wilmington’s brew scene hasn’t slowed down for a second… in fact, it’s really starting to rev up! We’ve put together a list of the best breweries in Wilmington, DE. Cheers!
1. Stitch House Brewery (829 N. Market Street)-We toured Stitch House Brewery last week (see our video here!) and learned from brewmaster Drew Rutherford how to brew their Coconut Porter! With cheeky names like Big Stitch Nick (their pale ale), we love the opportunity to sample whatever we like with their beer flights and that the restaurant offers plenty of space for social distancing! They also donate their “spent” grains from their brewing process to local farms as feed.
2. Wilmington Brew Works (3129 Miller Road)- Housed in a 100-year old former laboratory in the old 9th Ward, WBW is known for being “Playfully Pretentious, Easily Enjoyed.” We love how creative their brews are like the Duvette Strawberry Shortcake Milkshake Sour, and the excitement surrounding Rail Car One, an IPA that gives a nod to President-elect Joe Biden. The beer will be released on December 7th’s Delaware Day, which honors the date in 1787 when Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution.
3. Iron Hill Brewery (620 Justison Street)-A Delaware treasure, Iron Hill’s original brewing location in Newark led to the opening of their Wilmington location on the Riverfront. They’ve since exploded on the beer scene with sites in New Jersey, South Carolina, Pennsylvania and Georgia. We like the Brambleberry Farmhouse Ale and the Iron Hill Light Lager.
4. Chelsea Tavern (821 N. Market Street)- Choose from over 33 pints at this Market Street staple, located directly across from the Grand! We are fans of the Geroge Washington Porter by Yards Brewing, and the festive Mad Elf from Troegs!
5. Trolley Tap House (1616 Delaware Ave)-Another spot that features a MONSTER selection, with 30 draft lines including Easy Plum, Easy Gose by Midnight Oil Brewery and Wolf Pup Session Ale from Golden Road Brewing.
6. Washington Street Ale House (1206 Washington Street)-Although currently closed to wait out quarantine restrictions, this cozy downtown spot equipped with a fireplace and over 24 local brews is one of our favorite winter places to snuggle up with a brew in hand.
7. Bellefonte Brewing Co. (3605 Old Capitol Trail)- With 2 locations on the outskirts of Wilmington, this nano brewery and tap room offers 16 “regular production” brews and is still hosting socially distanced events, like their annual Ugly Sweater Party on December 12th!