We LOVE our burgers here in Wilmington, Delaware! We polled our friends on our Instagram for the best burger spots in Wilmington and did our own research to compile this list below! Try to read it without drooling, WE DARE you!
1. Kid Shelleen’s- “Brunch, beer, and burgers” are the name of the game at Kid Shelleen’s, where there are 6 different specialty burgers to choose from including a Beyond Burger option for our meatless fam. Check out their NFL Loyalty program for some savings too!
Fave burger: “The Cowboy”- fried onion ring, Lancaster bacon, bbq sauce, Wisconsin cheddar, green leaf, vine-ripe tomato.
2. Farmer and the Cow- Featured on Guy Fieri’s, “Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives”, this fun LoMa (Lower Market, IYKYK) spot is a one stop shop for flavor! Their creative burgers and boozy milkshakes corner a niche you can’t find anywhere else in Wilmington.
Fave burger: “Moo Caliente”- habanero, ghost aioli, onion straws, avocado crema, pepper jack cheese.
3. Chelsea Tavern- Chelsea offers 7 different mouth-watering burgers, including The Chelsea Burger Challenge, which is the pic at the top of this blog! FYI We’ve been known to dream about their burgers in our sleep!
Fave burger: “Black & Blue”- blue cheese crumbles, applewood smoked bacon, brioche bun.
4. Charcoal Pit- Although on the outskirts of Wilmington, we had to give a nod to our hometown President Joe Biden’s favorite spot! Since 1956 it’s been serving up Americana in milkshakes, burgers, and sandwiches!
Fave burger: “Kennett Square Burger”- bacon, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato & local mushrooms.
5. Iron Hill Brewery- Iron Hill is an “old reliable” for locally brewed beer and consistent food. Located on the Riverfront, we love the view of the Christina and the fact that their beers are brewed on site! One of our readers (@kate.habegger) commented, “It’s not solely a burger place but the Pub Burger is the BEST!”
Fave burger: “Left Coast Turkey Burger”- guacamole, bacon, IPA sriracha ranch, monterey jack cheese, arugula, potato roll.
6. Crow Bar- Even though Crow Bar in Trolley Square is known for their fun upscale pizza selection and cocktails, don’t overlook the burger! It melts in your mouth and pairs perfectly with their cocktails.
Fave burger: “Ground Short Rib Burger”- double patty, american cheese, dijonnaise, pickles, shoestring fries
7. Slam Burgers by Wildwich– This food truck is always moving, but several of our readers said their burgers are worth the hunt! With toppings like crabmeat, bacon, and crispy frizzles, we’ve tried these burgers at a number of Wilmington events, including the BMW Championship!
Fave burger: Looks like Slam leaves the creativity up to you, and lets YOU pick out your own creation.
8. Dead Presidents– This Union Street local spot has also seen famous Wilmingtonians like Aubrey Plaza when she’s home visiting. The bar is also a big spot for those in the restaurant industry to unwind.
Fave burger: “VOTER’S CHOICE BURGER”- Burger, lettuce, tomato, and pickle slices served on a Kaiser roll. 2 toppings are included from: cheese, mushrooms, peppers, sauteed onions, bacon, BBQ, and any style of buffalo.
9. Merchant Bar– The burger here was under our radar until our reader @Siancybabayy commented, “Merchant Bar low key has the best burger in town, that spicy sauce on the classic is 🔥”
Fave burger: I’m gonna take @Siancybabayy’s word for it here- “The Classic Burger”- cooper sharp cheese, lettuce, pickles, spicy sauce, house fries
10. Stitch House Brewery– We love Stitch’s selection of “handhelds”, and it’s the perfect spot to watch Eagles games on football Sunday with our buddy, DJ Andrew Hugh! IG user @Magnolia_lounge commented: “They are amazing, then add some truffle fries…phew I’m hungry now!”
Fave burger: “Southwest Style”- avocado aioli, pepper jack, fresh pico de gallo, brioche.
11. DE Slider Co.– This unique approach to a classic burger joint is a can’t-miss dining experience. The menu, curated by Chef Will, is an awesome mix of bold choices and traditional hits. Try it once, and we know you will be back for more!
Fav burger (sliders): “Fat Mama Cheeseburger”- angus beef patty, Vermont cheddar cheese, zesty pickles, baby greens, red onion, tomato, and tarragon-Russian dressing
12. Timothy’s Riverfront Grill– If you haven’t eaten at Timothy’s yet… you’re missing out. Everything on the menu is delicious, but their burgers are TO DIE FOR. They have 11 different burgers on the menu including short rib, bison, and wagyu.
Fave burger: “Bacon Cheddar Stuffed Burger”- Stuffed with bacon and cheddar. Topped with red onion, chopped pickles, and California Gold BBQ