What better way to celebrate the summer than by getting active and getting outside? Whatever way you like to exercise we have the best spots to do so. Check out our favorite biking, walking, and hiking trails in the Greater Wilmington area!
1. Brandywine Creek River Loop– This trail is popular for hiking, birding, and trail running. It is moderately challenging. You are welcome to bring your dog as well, but keep them on a leash.
2. Rocky Run Loop– A 3.2 mile trail, this loop is popular for hiking, mountain biking, and running. Although popular, you can also enjoy nature alone during quieter times of the day.
3. Indian Springs Trail– In about 1 hour you can walk this entire trail and take in incredible views. It ascends to the top of a hill where it levels off to a gradual grade.
4. Valley Garden Park– This park offers beautiful walking trails amidst a shallow river featuring small waterfalls. It is great for a relaxing walk, picnic, or simply enjoying being outside in nature.
5. Carousel Park and Equestrian Center– A little further out of Wilmington, Carousel is worth the drive! It has over 200 acres of meadows, ponds, and lakes and is home to swans, ducks, and geese. It is also home to the New Castle County Mounted Patrol, so visitors can enjoy seeing beautiful horses roaming around.
6. Rockford Park– This park features a large grassy meadow which leads to a hill overlooking the Brandywine River. The views in the park are breathtaking and it is a great way to take in the beauty of Wilmington.
7. Jack A Markell Trail– This trail connects the Wilmington Riverfront with the city of New Castle. It includes amenities such as bike repair stations and bike racks, making it perfect for a ride on a sunny day. There are on-road and off-road paths for everyone to enjoy.
8. Alapocas Run State Park– Alapocas Run is a historic park that is now used recreationally. It is great for a day outdoors with the family, or a scenic jog during the summer. It also features lots of activities like a playground, athletic fields, and rock climbing.
9. Riverfront River Walk– The Riverfront is one of the most popular places for Wilmingtonians to enjoy the outdoors. You can stroll along the scenic trail and check out the DuPont Environmental Education Center or the Wilmington Blue Rocks stadium.
10. Northern Delaware Greenway Trail– Check out some of the most impressive scenery in all of Delaware on this long trail linking multiple parks. It is an excellent way to get outside and get acquainted with nature.