Wilmington, Delaware happens to be the home of one beloved Super Bowl Champion: Eagle’s own Wendell Smallwood. The City of Wilmington recently announced the inaugural Wendell Smallwood Weekend, running May 17th through the 19th, featuring three days of five events with the Super Bowl Champion.
“On behalf of everyone in Wilmington, I express my thanks and appreciation to Wendell for all that he has done and continues to do for the City of Wilmington,” said Mayor Mike Purzycki. “He is a fierce competitor on the field, but within his home City, Wendell has demonstrated time and again that he is a humanitarian with a huge heart. We are very excited to work together with Wendell on this special event-filled weekend.”
“Wilmington is my hometown, and will always have a special place in my heart,” said Smallwood. “It’s great to be in a position to give something back to the community, and I’m committed to making this weekend not only about providing first-rate entertainment but also making a lasting social impact on the lives of local kids.”
All are welcome and proceeds will go to a local nonprofit. See the list below for what to do and when:
Friday, March 17th
- Happy Hour Kick-Off
- Comedy Show
- Where: Theatre N, 1007 North Orange Street, immediately following the Friday night Happy Hour Kick-Off.
- When: Doors open at 7:30 p.m., show starts at 8 p.m.
- Cost: Tickets start at $60 and can be purchased here.
- Info: The comedy show will feature HaHa Davis and Kleon Da Comedian. Davis (a.k.a. Mr. Big Fella) is a native of Detroit and has worked with Snoop Dogg and Chance the Rapper, while Kleon Da Comedian (Keith Kleon Norman), who was born and raised in Baltimore, has performed in more than 29 cities across the United States.
Saturday, May 18th
- The Wendell Smallwood and Mayor Mike Purzycki Pro Football Camp and Player Autograph Signing
- Where: 76ers Field House, 401 Garasches Lane.
- When: Noon until 4 p.m.
- Cost: FREE and open to athletes ages 8 to 19.
- Info: Camp registration and autograph signing will run from Noon until 1 p.m. The Fundamental Skill Camp will begin at 1 p.m. and go until 4 p.m. The camp will include a free lunch, a T-shirt, and giveaways. For more information and to register, go to 76ersFieldhouse.com.
- Party with a Purpose
- Where: Docklands Riverfront, 110 West Street on the Christina Riverfront.
- When: 9:30 p.m. and runs until 1 a.m.
- Cost: Early-Bird admission is $40 and can be purchased here.
- Info: Join Wendell and friends for music and a fun atmosphere. Space is limited and a dress code prohibits the wearing of jeans or athletic gear.
Sunday, May 19th
- The Brunch Experience
- Where: The Queen, 500 North Market Street
- When: Noon to 4 p.m.
- Cost: $60 per ticket. Tickets can be purchased here
- Info: This event is a celebration of Wendell’s accomplishments and will feature DJ-inspired music, food and drinks, and a check presentation to a local Wilmington nonprofit that provides programming for young people. This event is for people 21-and-over. Space is limited and a dress code prohibits the wearing of jeans or athletic gear.
More about Wendell Smallwood
Wendell Smallwood was born in Wilmington on January 20, 1994. He played high school football at Red Lion Christian Academy in Bear before transferring to Eastern Christian Academy in Elkton, Maryland, for his senior year. He played college football at West Virginia and was drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL Draft. Since then, Smallwood has made a point of giving back to the Wilmington community, including initiating a “Christmas Give-A-Way” in December 2017.
You can purchase tickets, register for camp, or receive more information about any of the weekend events at www.wendellsmallwoodweekend.com